What is Community Networking?
OurPangea is not a social network. Previously, we have referred to OurPangea as a new type of social network. We are moving away from that moniker because Community Networking is the evolution of social networking. This means similar tools on OurPangea are not a coincidence, but a reference to the foundation social networking has created. But make no mistake, OurPangea is not a social network.
The ideas and theories that have shaped OurPangea are different than how we think of and use a social network. OurPangea has a more dynamic and flexible framework. The Community Networking model is designed to be used differently than social networks. We don’t want people to have a preconceived idea of what to expect from OurPangea. It is different, and we want our users to think differently from the get-go.
Above all, Community Networking is not meant to glorify or emphasize the individual like social networks do. OurPangea should be used for creating communities, finding a sense of belonging within those communities, and discovering the power of your online and offline worlds working in harmony. But that doesn’t mean your needs as individual users are ignored. Community Networking is about letting you do things together, not just sharing, showing, and broadcasting. Because this approach combines our individual actions to define our collective communities, OurPangea blends all of our strongest qualities together culminating in the best version of ourselves – together and individually.
Community Networking is the evolution of the social network, which means it is an improvement. OurPangea is the combination of the best parts of varied and diverse networking frameworks and theories, representing what we believe to be the best way to create a more accurate and rewarding model for online engagement.
- OurPangea employs many proven social networking tools you’re probably familiar with. These include profiles, messaging, content sharing systems, and event creation tools. While most sites limit these tools for individual use, OurPangea enhances them to allow groups and communities to effectively and seamlessly utilize.
- Groups and communities are location and interest based, and the actions of both individuals and groups shape how their communities are defined and represented on OurPangea.
- semantic networking is mainly used for search currently, and OurPangea is applying the semantic model to social networking in a more practical way: allowing individuals, groups, activities, and events to discover each other based on their interests and passions.
- We’ve developed an entirely new model of networking called proactive networking to better represent the complexities of real life connections. Proactive networking ensures all users gain value whether that means interacting online with people you already know or creating new relationships online and continuing them elsewhere.
- If you aren’t a regular on our blog, you should know we are firm believers in the idea that while we are capable of a lot as individuals, collectively we’re unlimited in our potential. We are also strong proponents of the strength of weak ties, which argues both the people you know well (strong ties) and those you don’t (weak ties) are necessary to create a powerful personal network. The more weak ties we have, the more we’re connected to the world. We believe the more weak ties a system has, the more likely it is to be dynamic and innovative. OurPangea is structured to facilitate the strength of our weak ties. Mixed with semantics (interest-based association), this has the potential to empower our networks and communities like never before.
- We believe we’re wired to be empathetic, which means we aren’t naturally prone to conflict. We’re all humans, and we share that as common ground. OurPangea is designed to begin helping us see ourselves as members of a global human community regardless of nationality, religion, or ideology.
So, OurPangea is not a social network. We are a Community Network. OurPangea makes it easier to collaborate because it provides a better way to discover, interact, and engage with specific interest-based groups and diverse communities of people easily and on a personal level.
Community Networking is OurPangea.com. We have designed the system, we have created the architecture and website, we believe in the mission, and we will be launching soon. All we need now is your support, your belief, and a show of your dedication to your local community, friends, and family. We are starting small in a big way.
This is our world, OurPangea.